I have a group of friends who get together every month to play video games. They’ve been doing this for a few years, but I only recently started attending. I had been invited previously, but never actually went, partly because of my depression and partly because I really suck at video games. Last month, we had half of the guys not show at the last minute, and they were the ones in charge of bringing the games, so four of us were left with some soda, potato chips, and nothing to play.
Luckily, I brought a copy of The T-Shirt Game published by Buffalo Games, just in case someone injured their thumb and wanted to play a non-video game. The T-Shirt Game is a card game that plays a little like Apples to Apples, but has a visual element. Given an image on a T-shirt card, players must contribute from their hand a Slogan card that best fits the image. Another player, who does not contribute a slogan, act as the judge of the best slogan and t-shirt combination. The player whose slogan is chosen as the best match for the t-shirt, then gets a Hot or Not card that will give a certain amount of points. The first player to accumulate 3000 points is the winner.
The T-Shirt Game was a big hit and it was the only game we played that night. We quickly learned that the wackiest combination of slogan and t-shirt made for a winning round. We didn’t care if it made sense as long as it was funny. We developed some house rules and talked about some things we would like to have the next time we played, but out of the box, The T-Shirt Game entertained four grown men for nearly two hours and that’s not an easy thing to do.
- Remove all Hot or Not cards with point values over 1000 or your game may be over too quickly.
- Don’t bother with the text on the Hot or Not card. It serves no real purpose and it’s confusing for the PCC (Pop Culture Challenged.)
- If the Booyah card is drawn as the first card, then ignore its point value and just bury it in the deck and draw another card. The Booyah card allows you to steal a Hot or Not card from another player and it’s a lot of fun. Don’t waste them!
We wanted to see:
- Blank t-shirt cards and blank slogan cards so you can make your own.
- Hot or Not cards with negative values. It would make the use of the Booyah cards even more interesting.
I have decided to drop my old ranking system, but any game you want to play again has to be pretty darn good. The T-Shirt Game is available from the folks at Buffalo Games and is available at Barnes and Noble.
Try it on. It’s stretchy.