KublaCon was my first game con, and I had a blast. I was afraid it was going to be too big. I tend to like small functions where you get to know people, but KublaCon ended up being fabulous. I hope to return next year and spend three days instead of two.
Some of the highlights:
- Getting to hang out with David Gullett and his son. David is one of my favorite people to game with. He’s just damn funny, like laugh so hard your sides hurt funny.
- Finally learning to play Tichu and loving it. This is a wonderful card game for four players. It going to be my card game of choice for quite some time.
- Seeing my buddy Mike pull a win from behind on a great game of Can’t Stop. We all screamed in disbelief on the very last roll. I love it when that happens.
- Playing the World of Warcraft CCG against someone named Ogre. Yes, Ogre was the name on his name tag. He ended up being a very nice guy.
- Eating some really good oatmeal for breakfast. Don’t laugh. I really like oatmeal when it’s done right.
No, I never got around to playing any of the roleplaying games. I wanted to, but it seemed like such a huge amount of time to spend on just one activity. Next year I will have more time.
I think the most memorable game was a game of Pacific Typhoon, a unique trick taking game based on the events in the Pacific during World War II. It was a six player game, including Derk from boardgamegeek, who is a total hoot.
At one point, Derk was so loud that the guy that was leading some of the kids activities brought them all up to our table just to yell at Derk.I managed to get a quick pic with my phone as Derk was forced to submit to the hordes of children yelling at him.
The folks at KublaCon set up some great activities for kids. There was never a dull moment.